Onex Corporation is committed to the concept of sustainable development, which requires balancing good stewardship in the protection of human health and the natural environment with the need for profitable growth of its operations. In recognition of this, the Corporation has adopted an environmental policy that reflects its belief in sustainable development combined with environmental sensitivity. The following principles are basic to achieving this environmental objective:
- Carry out sound operational and management practices to ensure facilities are in compliance with all applicable legislation providing for the protection of the environment, employees and the public.
- Maintain an active self-monitoring program to ensure compliance with government and company policy.
- Continue to assess available technology to reduce environmental effects and implement improvements beyond compliance levels where economically viable.
- In the absence of legislation, to apply cost-effective management practices to advance environmental protection and to minimize environmental risk.
- Improve communications and work proactively to protect the environment.
- Where appropriate to the Corporation’s business, encourage and participate in the search for new, better, cost-effective solutions to environmental obstacles.
- Update the Board of Directors on the Corporation’s performance in carrying out its environmental responsibilities and programs during the year.